Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official YMCA Hockey Club app


1st XI (M) - Match centre

Three Rock Rovers
YMCA Hockey Club
Sat 13 Dec 15:00 - League Full time

Big win against TRR in the League


M1s come from behind to snatch victory away from home

For the second week running, the YMCA Men put on their man pants and fought out a tightly contested match, this week claiming three hugely important points against an impressive Three Rock Rovers outfit. The YM team went in confident form after beating Rovers at home just two weeks earlier. But with some noticeable ins, and after a frustrating draw to UCD the previous week, Three Rock went in to the match as fired up favourites.

The game got off to a flying start with both teams attacking freely and at pace. YM squandered early opportunities to take the lead, allowing Three Rock striker Harry Morris to calmly finish and take the lead for his team mid way through the first half. But the Red men were quick to strike back through Andrew "Meatface" Meates. The giggling assassin picked up a bobbling ball at he top of circle, striking the onion cleanly into the back of the net on his reverse with aplomb. An overjoyed Meates, screaming like a cat in a dishwasher, was joined in celebration by his team mates, and the comeback was on. The remainder of the second half was tense. The score line at the break 1-1 with both teams having opportunities to take the lead. YMCA's heroic keeper Iain Walker continually frustrating the home team.

The second half saw much of the same from both sides. A physical encounter with plenty of attack, spectators who had braved the icy weather were treating to a truly entertaining match. Rovers pushed hard, earning multiple corners, only to be thwarted by a spectacular display of goal keeping by Walker, who was seemingly transfixed on nothing short of three points. What Walker was producing down back was being complimented by a team mate in the midfield. Just as Charizard once dominated the Pokémon world, YMCA's own fiery red head, Luke Chadwick, was controlling the centre of the Three Rock Rovers pitch. The pint sized midfielder was everywhere, proving impossible to stop and controlling the tempo of the game.

The decisive point of the match came late, with a break away from YM, the ball making its way through the circle, found the stick of Australian striker Thomas Ritchie who finished the unmissable. with 5 minutes to spare, Rovers pushed hard but could not find the late equaliser they needed. With the match finishing 2-1 to the Red and Black, the table becomes a lot more interesting going in to the New Year as YM join Railway and Corinthians on 15 points, only 2 points behind a flailing Three Rock Rovers side who had entered the campaign as one of the favourites just three months earlier.

Team selection

Team selection has not been published for this fixture yet.

Club sponsors